Our first aircon unit is up and running, just in time for summer. I can’t wait to tell you about it. And of course we’re bringing you a TCL Inverter 12000BTU Air Con Review. We bought this mid wall split unit through Basic Cooling, based in Brackenfell, Cape Town. We’ve never had an air conditioning unit installed in our home before so this really is a luxurious treat.
There Are Many Types of Air Conditioning Units
There are several types of air cons and I can’t possibly tell you the pros and cons of all of them. However, for the last couple of years, we used a portable unit on the hottest of days here in the Swartland. Our one is noisy and always seems to be in the way. I know that portable units can also be a bit power hungry. So, they’re okay if you don’t have any other options but on most days I’d actually rather be hot than have to listen to it.
However, I can tell you that we purposefully bought this inverter type air con for two main reasons:
- They use a little less power than other types. This will be most useful when can finally go green and get our solar installation up and running.
- This particular brand (as well as a couple of others) don’t mind power fluctuations too much. Useful when you live in a country with load shedding and other electricity supply issues.
- As per the description, we got a mid wall split unit. And that, of course, means that the noisy bit goes outside! Whoo hoo!
The downside; they are a bit more expensive for the initial purchase than other types.
Buying and Installing the Air Conditioning Unit
The honest truth is that we bought the air con in February of this year. It wasn’t too long before the Covid19 Lockdown in South Africa. Therefore, we had it installed up on the wall for several months before we could actually use it. We had to wait before we could ask an electrician to make the final connections. Thankfully, this was over the winter months so we didn’t need an air con as much (although a heater would have been pleasant).
Installation itself meant we had to install brackets on the outside in order to mount the exterior half of the air con unit. Kevin cut two lengths of angle iron which we carefully pushed through holes we cut in the fibre cement boards. Once they were through we securely welded them in place on the interior steel frame. (If you recall, we built a steel frame around the sliding door so that it would fit in the opening where the doors were originally. And we fitted a great little bookshelf.) After that it was quite simple to mount the air con unit itself.
But now that it’s up and running, we have had great fun testing out all the features.
It’s time for the TCL Inverter 12000BTU air con review.
TCL Inverter 12000BTU Air Con Review
This little air conditioning unit is perfect for our needs so we are extremely pleased with our purchase.
- The sleek design looks good on the wall
- It is almost near silent when running
- It has various settings such as turbo, eco and normal
- It has an auto-off timer function
- It has a “health” setting, that according to the manual, controls the ionizer or plasma generator (That sounds awesome! Who doesn’t want to talk about plasma generators like they know what that means?)
- The “sleep” function automatically controls the temperature of the room for the best night’s sleep
- There’s also an “automatic” setting that goes by the name of “I feel” on the remote
- The unit comes with a remote control and a holder that you can mount on the wall. We have not yet mounted the holder as we’re still deciding where to put it.
- Of course, it does also have a heater function for winter
I’m sure we’re only just discovering all the settings, but I can’t think of any more we’d need other than those.
In conclusion, we’re extremely happy with our purchase and in time, will be purchasing more units for other sections of the house to cater for the other private living areas.
About Basic Cooling
As mentioned in the beginning of this article, we purchased the TCL air conditioning unit through Basic Cooling. This company is based in Brackenfell in Cape Town. They supply, install, maintain and repair several brands of air conditioning units. The TCL brand is the one they recommended for our requirements. We have enjoyed working with them in the supply of the TCL air con unit as well as previously in other situations. They are quick to respond to emails and do on site maintenance efficiently and with a smile on their technicians’ faces.
Perhaps they can help you with your own air con requirements.